Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Survivor Series Preview: Promoting Positivity for a card few are looking forward to...


Much like pimping, limping or shrimping (if you haven’t read the story behind that from one of Mick Foley’s books, you should), promoting positivity isn’t always easy.  Especially in today’s WWE.  When I’m trying to find the bright side in Grumpy Cat, you know its going to be a long week.  

(For the record, I thought The Miz did an excellent job acting alongside a cat.  He made it seem like a bad movie, which is what that was.  Plus, the stunt cat?  Priceless.   #SandowPower)

Looking at this Sunday’s Survivor Series card is also a tricky one to be uber-optimistic about - in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if many casual fans didn’t even realize that one of WWE’s “Big 4” PPV’s was right around the corner.  I’ll save my thoughts on Survivor Series’ place in history for a later date, but suffice to say, WWE hasn’t done an amazing job building the card.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t without its excitement.  I’m rather looking forward to Sunday night, and in my efforts to Promote Positivity until your stomach hurts, I’ll share my reasons why.

I’m looking forward to a traditional elimination tag match.  As I’ve mentioned before (and you’ll read again shortly, I assure you), Survivor Series was THE big PPV of my young life.  Being on a holiday and not a school night allowed for me to invite a bunch of friends over without worry, and there was always leftovers to nosh on.  Good times were had, even when the teams were Queasy, Cheesy and Sleazy.

The SS format has always been a good one.  You’re able to tell multiple stories over the course of one match, and ring psychology is at its peak (compared to the Royal Rumble, which I also like, but that match is really just wrestlers holding onto the ropes for dear life for an hour.)  Which team will have a member eliminated first?  Who will be left standing at the end?  Lots of drama to be had, and if my high school career is any indication, I am a sucker for drama.

I’m looking forward to seeing potential future feuds teased during the main event.  John Cena and Rusev, Ryback and Luke Harper, Ryback and Rusev, Dolph Ziggler and Seth Rollins, Cena and Erick Rowan (OK, so maybe that’s a stretch) -  you’re almost guaranteed to see these athletes face off at some point during the night.  

You are also almost guaranteed that WWE brass will be sitting in the back, listening very carefully to the crowd’s reaction to these face-offs.  If Cena and Rusev wind up popping the crowd in their brief altercation, you can bet we’ll see them again in 2015.

I’m looking forward to seeing what twists and turns happen in the main event.  While the majority of the PPV card has been thrown together last minute, the Team Cena versus The Authority storyline has been fully fleshed out. While most people are convinced they know what is going to happen ( Ziggler turns heel), there seems to be a lot of room for something unexpected.

I've gone on record in saying that I believe the entire team will either abandon or flat out turn on Cena, and while he will fight valiantly, as Cena always does, I think The Authority will win the day and keep their jobs.   Mr. #KidsAndTroops has been noticeably absent in defending and protecting his teammates over the last few weeks, and I think their frustrations reach a boiling point during the main event.

John Cena may never turn heel in the “Hollywood” Hogan sense, but he has a much better chance of becoming a “Bret Hart heel”.  Seeing the entire locker room turn on him for being so. . . “Cena-y” may cause him to throw up his hands and stop trying to earn our / their affection.  “If you’re cool with me, great, I’ll still be your hero.  If not. . .”  I’ve used this line before in predicting how Cena might someday react, and I still think its a likely possibility.

I'm looking forward to seeing Luke Harper take another step forward in becoming a top-level talent in the WWE. He obviously has been on a roll as of late, considering he was nowhere to be seen a mere three weeks ago and now is the reigning Intercontinental Champion. I think the WWE knows what they have with Harper, and isn't going to shy away from letting him become big very soon.

I’m looking forward to seeing what role Randy Orton plays on Sunday.  Most likely it’ll be a run-in, but the more I think about it, the more I think Erick Rowan might not make it to the main event.  His addition is such a random throw-in that we might see him laid out by Harper and Henry during the Pre-Show, and Orton is the surprise 5th member of Team Cena.  

Orton’s been on fire lately and seems to be a big part of WWE’s plans for TLC and beyond, so look for him on Sunday.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bray Wyatt and Dean Ambrose have the first of what I have to believe will be many matches against each other in their careers. This feud, which looked to be the biggest one of all following Hell in a Cell, has been pushed onto the back burner thanks to the Cena / Authority saga.

Unlike many, who have been very vocal in their displeasure with this, I don't have as much of a problem. I think this feud is one that needs a slow start. There was never going to be a single good reason for Bray Wyatt to attack Ambrose, and so asking him to magically create one is silly.

This feud needs time. Time to build. Time for the two men to get a history. Time for them to mess with each other's minds and lives, to the point where they are truly and believably ready to kill each other.  It's not going to happen overnight, and I certainly don't mind enjoying their first match while I wait for something bigger to come along.  Just please don’t let it be The Ascension - Bray doesn’t need another family.

I’m looking forward to seeing a light at the end of the tunnel in the Bella feud.  I have cared absolutely zero for this story arc after seeing Nikki turn heel at Summer Slam.  

Here’s what I think happens.  Brie helps Nikki win the belt willingly, confusing everyone.  On RAW the next night, Brie says the reason she did it is so she can personally take the title from her sister.  Hopefully that means we have one final match between the two and then the Divas division can move on.

If my prediction doesn’t happen, then hopefully Charlotte (the best women’s wrestler on this planet and others) comes out and just mops the floor with everyone.  I’m not picky.

I’m looking forward to the tag team title match.  Is the division incredibly thin?  Yes.  Is that a long-term problem?  Goodness, yes.  Will we see an entertaining match on Sunday?  For a third time, yes.

I’m hoping this winds up being another elimination match.  Goes with the survival theme and also stretches it out, since right now SS is 5 matches long.

I’m looking forward to our new tag team champions, Damien Mizdow and The Miz!  The writing is on the wall here - these two are the only reason to even watch tag team wrestling in WWE, and both of them have been absolutely perfect in telling their story.

Hate on Miz all you want, but he’s been tremendous.  To prove my point, I’ve actually yelled at my television for him to tag Mizdow in, then laughed out loud when he does, then instantly tags back into the match.  I’m a 31 year old man who is fully engaged in the story, to the point of interacting from my sofa.  That’s the sign of a good story and amazing talent.

Once again, #SandowPower!

I’m looking forward to the time I will be able to go spend with my wife during the Divas elimination match.  This should easily go 10-15 minutes, so I’ll be able to have an entire conversation and maybe even grab a snack before its over.

Oddle enough, I’m looking forward to Adam Rose and The Bunny, be it on the pre-show or the actual card.  I’m not saying that the two of them in an actual PPV match is a positive thing - it isn’t - but I’ve been entertained enough by the story that I don’t mind seeing the match.  

Dark Rose (if you missed it, my new name for the character) is much more enjoyable than Adam is and The Bunny is. . . Look, what do you want, its a guy in a Bunny suit!   

My secret hope is that Fandango (who will apparently be new AND improved) comes down to help Dark Rose beat on the Bunny.  It is revealed to be Justin Gabriel, and Tyson Kidd comes down to make the save.  Boom - I’ve instantly added 2 teams to the weak WWE tag division right there.  That’s about as good as you can get from this story.

Most of all, I’m looking forward to sharing the Survivor Series experience with the rest of the #NAI-bors, #WWEFamily, call it what you will.   You all make wrestling much more fun and captivating than it ever was without you.   I’ll see you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment